Mayo Clinic, the average person takes about 4,000 steps per day – that’s
over one million steps per year!
With summer here, check out some tips to keep your feet healthy and on
Walking barefoot exposes your feet to the sun. Limit walking without shoes
on to prevent sunburn, athlete’s foot, plantar warts, ringworm and
other infections. In addition, walking barefoot increases your risk of injury.
Important: If you have diabetes or suffer from neuropathy, we recommend
that you never walk barefoot.
- When at the beach or pool, wear flip-flops or water shoes to decrease your
chances of contracting any bacterial infections. Also, always wear sunscreen
on your feet when they are exposed to the sun. Don’t forget to reapply
every two hours.
- Remember to always stay hydrated by drinking water frequently throughout
the day. Drinking water will not only help your overall health, it will
also minimize any swelling in your feet that is caused by heat.
- Try to keep your blood flowing when being active in the sun. This includes
toe wiggles, calf stretches, ankle flexes, and more.
- Consider bringing an extra pair of shoes when participating in activities
at the beach or lake. If your shoes will be getting wet, they should be
dried out completely before you wear them again; this will prevent bacteria
It’s always good to have the following items stocked up at home or
packed with you on vacation to protect your feet:
- Sunscreen to protect your feet from getting sunburned
- Aloe Vera to relieve sunburns
- Nail clipper to keep your toenails trimmed
- Flip flops for the pool, beach, and hotel
- Bandages for minor cuts
- Blister pads to protect your feet from getting blisters
- Lotion to keep your feet hydrated and moisturized
- Ibuprofen in case your feet swell from the heat
Remember to take these extra steps to keeping your feet healthy this summer.
If you are experiencing a wound of any type that is not healing or is
of concern, contact our Kirby Wound Care for further evaluation and treatment.
2 Sage Crossing Boulevard, Suite A
Monticello, IL 61856