Testing Process for COVID-19
COVID-19 Specimen Collection Instructions
Approval is required before sending any specimens for testing to IDPH.
Contact Infection Prevention Services 217-762-1853 or 217-520-5388 to
obtain approval and instructions.
All tests should be ordered in Meditech as
CORONAVIRUS, NOVEL (IDPH) or COVID 19, QUEST DIAGNOSTICS
Testing is not performed at Kirby Medical Center; all tests are send-outs
through IDPPH or Quest Diagnostics Testing. Labs should be carried to
the Kirby Medical Center lab for staff to place in refrigerator and complete
packaging and shipping.
Nasopharyngeal swab place in viral transport media
- Red capped viral swab. Place swabs immediately into sterile tubes containing
2-3 ml of viral transport media
- Use the small wire swab for nasopharyngeal collection. Insert a swab into
the nostril parallel to the palate. Leave the swab in place for a few
seconds to absorb secretions. Swab both nasopharyngeal areas with the same swab
- Label all specimens with patient label. Place specimens in biohazard bags.
- IDPH Laboratory hours are 7 days a week 8am – 430pm. Specimens are
not accepted after these hours.
- Any specimen collected before 1pm Monday through Friday will be shipped
to IDPH Springfield via FedEx Express – Priority Overnight (see
Purchasing Personnel to arrange FedEx pick up)